N5 Engineering Science
Aims of the Course
- Apply knowledge and understanding of key engineering facts and ideas
- Understand the relationships between engineering, mathematics and science
- Apply skills in analysis, design, construction and evaluation to a range of engineering problems
- Communicate engineering concepts clearly and concisely using appropriate terminology
- Develop an understanding of the role and impact of engineering in changing and influencing our environment and society
The Course consists of three mandatory Units:
Electronics and Control – Develop an understanding of electronic control systems. Learners will investigate and explore engineering problems and design, simulate, construct, test and evaluate solutions.
Mechanisms and Structures – Develop an understanding of mechanisms and structures. Learners will explore a range of mechanical and pneumatic systems and design, simulate, construct, test and evaluate mechanical or pneumatic solutions to solve problems.
Engineering Contexts and Challenges – Develop a basic understanding of engineering, and its role and impact on our society and environment. Learners will investigate engineering systems, problems and solutions, involving some existing and emerging technologies, and consider implications relating to the environment, sustainable development and to economic and social issues.
Pupils will be given homework at regular intervals. This homework will be related to the topic of work that they are undertaking at the time and will also act as useful revision for the final exam.
National 5 – This course will be assessed through a combination of an assignment and a question paper. Learners will apply knowledge and skills from the Units to solve an appropriately challenging engineering problem. The question paper introduces breadth to the assessment. It requires depth of understanding and application of knowledge from the Units.
BrightRedStudy Guide National 5 Engineering Science
Useful Web Links
Leads On To
This course will prepare pupils to undertake the following courses
Higher Engineering Science