Higher Engineering Science
Aims of the Course
The Course provides learners with opportunities to develop:
- extend and apply knowledge and understanding of key engineering concepts, principles and practice
- understand the relationships between engineering, mathematics and science
- apply analysis, design, construction and evaluation to a range of problems with some complex features
- communicate engineering concepts clearly and concisely using appropriate terminology
- develop a greater understanding of the role and impact of engineering in changing and influencing our environment and society
Electronics and Control
Develop a deep understanding of electronic control systems.
Mechanisms and Structures
Develop a deep understanding of mechanisms and structures.
Engineering Contexts and Challenges
Develop a deep understanding of the broad discipline of engineering, and its role and impact on our society and environment.
Pupils will be given homework at regular intervals. This homework will be related to the topic of work that they are undertaking at the time and will also act as useful revision for the final exam.
This course will be assessed through a combination of an assignment and a question paper. The question paper introduces breadth to the assessment. It requires depth of understanding and application of knowledge from the Units.
Both assignment and exam are externally marked by SQA and Graded A to D.
To achieve an award in the Engineering science Course, learners must pass all of the required Units.
Useful Web Links